Friday, December 14, 2012

inside the pickle jar (pt. 2)

Also inside the pickle jar were the following things:

Campaign buttons...
These buttons are from the mock Republican convention that my high school senior class held.  (Class of 1980).  Everyone in the civics classes played rolls in it.  It was very realistic with speeches, demonstrations, etc.  It was such a big deal that one of the local news channels (Channel 4) was there to report on it and there was a special segment on 4 Country Reporter as well!  When our votes were tallied, Ronald Regan was the winner and he won the real Republican Convention several months later.  Also, the principal, civics teacher, the student that portrayed Ronald Reagan, and a few other students that played key roles were invited to a fund raiser for Ronald Reagan.


a matchbook...
from a hotel I stayed at in Cancun.  I went there after my graduation from high school to have some fun before I started college.
 
 
a couple of matchbooks from local seafood restaurants...
I don't think either one of these are around anymore.  The one on the right was called Pelican's Wharf.

a baseball matchbook...
I love this matchbook because it is different, but I have no idea where I got it!  I have never been to Philadelphia and I'm not really a sports fan.  But, I used to go to a lot of Texas Ranger's games back in the 80's with my ex-husband.  I don't even know if they played against each other and even if they did, why would they hand out matches at the game?  Bobby Valentine used to have a restaurant that my ex and I used to go to.  Maybe I got them from the restaurant. Who knows?!


 a matchbox and a matchbook from steak restaurants...
 
 
a matchbook from the Crystal Terrace Restaurant at the Music Hall in Dallas...
The Dallas Music Hall is located at Fair Park.  If I remember right, I went there after a play.  I think it was a Christmas play and a reception was held afterward at the restaurant.


a matchbook from Loews Anatole Hotel and a matchbox from Routh Street Cafe...
I would have gotten both of these in the mid 1980's.  I remember going to the Anatole for a work party.  The company my ex worked for liked to have fancy parties.  Once a year they would send out an invitation to a gala.  All the men would dress up in tuxedos and the women wore ball gowns.  There would be a bar and hors d'oeuvres, and then everyone would go into the dining area.  Then while a meal was served, different managers and the company president would go up on the stage and talk about the how the company was doing and what the future held.  They would give out awards at that time too.
Routh Street Cafe was a very nice restaurant that my ex and I were taken to by some friends.  Stephen Pyles was the chef.  There were several courses and you could choose what you wanted for each course from the list of about 4 items.  We all chose different things so that after we tasted our food, we would pass our plate to the next person so we could get a taste of everything!  And everything was delicious!


another restaurant matchbook...


a restaurant matchbox...
Cityside is located in Boston, Mass. (The phone number is on the back.)  I have never been to Boston.  But my ex-husband used to travel for work, so I think he must have brought it home for me.


and motel matchbooks...
My ex and I took a few car trips on our vacations.

And that's the last of the contents of the pickle jar...but not the end of the stuff I will be posting!




No comments: